Monday 15 April 2013

Transformation

This weekend Hubby and I set about transforming my cluttered and uninspiring sewing space. These pictures don't really do justice to just how untidy the room was. Mission Impossible moves were required everyday to negotiate the clutter between the cutting station and the sewing machine, and once the ironing board was up....blue air!
Before
So on Saturday morning we ventured out to Ikea (Hubby's least favourite place) and by Saturday afternoon I was filling the new furniture with my sewing goodies. It's beyond awesome to have everything out of boxes so I can see it all! My sewing room is now a place I can't wait to get creative in :) It's not quite finished yet as Hubby has to make me one of these and sort out my 'design wall' but it's well on the way!
After
I'm going to show you some of my favourite bits here and put the rest of the photos I took over on Flickr if you fancy a nose around ;)

Cheap-as-chips, glass spice jars filled with ribbons and beads.
Embellishments
This wall makes me so happy! All those minis were made for me by other talented ladies and I'm so thrilled to have them up in my new space :)

Made by others with love for ME!!!
I'm also thrilled to have the treadle sewing machine out on display at last! The poor girl has been hiding away in her cabinet for well over a year just waiting to be released ;)
The old girl
Then I guess I should give you a peek inside my fabric cupboard :) I could probably set up shop, not that I'd be able to part with it! Close ups of the goodies are in the Flickr set. Top shelf is Moda precuts, 2nd shelf is solids and linens, 3rd shelf is mainly Freespirit - Tula Pink, Amy Butler, Anna Maria Horner, Joel Dewberry, Ty Pennington... 4th shelf Denyse Schmidt, Anna Maria Horner flannel, Laurie Wisbrun, Heather Ross, Karen Lewis, Leanne Fanny, Lucie Summers, 5th shelf Quilt backings and random fabrics I can't remember and finally bottom shelf is Home decor weight fabrics and dressmaking fabrics.
There is also a large wicker ottoman stuffed full of home decor weight fabric and another ottoman full of offcuts of batting. Seriously, I have a real problem if I need an ottoman for scraps of batting! I also have 2 large plastic boxes which house my scraps and my WIPs. Let's just say the WIPs box is rather fuller than I would like ;) Now that the room is nearly organised I think I'd better get cracking into that stash! Thanks to Hubby for indulging me with a room all to myself and my fabric addiction, he's a star. Catch you soon x

19 comments:

  1. Oh fabulous! What a lovely sewing room, and I'm loving that stash... lol Can hubby make me one of those tables too please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow aren't you lucky all round?:-) It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I am going to do a midnight fabric raid! And then could you send down your husband to first build an extension so I could have a sewing room which he would then conveniently sort for me? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow,how fabulous. And look at all your lovely fabric

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all want a craft table now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lucky, lucky lady! So proud to have a little corner in there with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for your dedicated sewing space. It looks so pretty and fun. I hope you really enjoy it an will be inspired to create nor amazing things!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks brilliant! Loving the stash, too. You are a very lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brill hubby you have! Fab sewing room - no excuses now! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. drooooool!!!!! My husband hates ikea too - it's actually quite funny how much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a brilliant sewing space. Your hubby has done a good job in getting you set up. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that's quite a stash and love your room make over

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks wonderful - you're going to have such a fabulous time sewing in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow, all those precuts! Your space looks fab now, I have the same little jars for my buttons

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow what an amazing sewing room!!! u lucky lady enjoy every min! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow what an amazing sewing room!!! u lucky lady enjoy every min! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing sewing room! I'm very envious of your fabric cupboard ( as well as all that wonderful stash).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,So I have just got very distracted and been reading your blog for the last.... 2 hours! I think I had a look but must have been a long while ago now. I have loved reading it and looking at all the amazing things you've both made and also some of the things you have received, love the caricature,it is so you! Of course the humour is not lost on me, I can imagine the tongue in cheek moments and Yvonne's ramblings really make me laugh. Your sewing room looks amazing, where did you ever put all that before? I think you should open as a retreat for people like me! I wish I could sew, Mum says I should have a go, we have been knitting squares to MAKE blankets for babies in Uganda and that has made me get into knitting again. Also Mum has done some knitting for 'Lisa's Star's' which is really lovely.I may have to think more seriously about this sewing lark, seeing all that lovely fabric...hmmm...well best go, thanks for sharing and inspiring me.X

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.